The number one beauty related question I get is about my hair. Keeping blonde hair healthy and shiny is not an easy task. I have a routine for before and after my appointments, so I partnered up with my FAVE hairstylist in DC (and the only woman I allow to touch these blonde locks), Jamie of Haute.202, to help you out with your own routine. Don’t worry there are tips for both blondes AND brunettes…
1. What is the best thing for blondes/brunettes to do before they come to an appointment?Shampoo and condition you hair at least 1 day prior to a color treatment to allow natural hair oils to hold in the color. Use a clarifying shampoo to strip away residue such as hair oil, dry shampoo, and hairspray. Then, follow up with a moisturizing conditioner and rinse hair with cold water to seal porous parts of your hair. Try to avoid putting any product in your hair prior to your appointment.
2. How often should should blondes/brunettes come for color?
Generally demi-permanent hair color fades out gradually after about 24 washes and permanent color is retouched every 4-6 weeks to blend grays and keep color looking vibrant.
Foil highlights are refreshed every 8-12 weeks depending on the amount of contrast between highlights and natural color. Balayage (hair painting) lasts about 3 months and ombrÃ© highlights about 3-6 months.
3. What products do you suggest blondes/brunettes use?
Blondes: Use a color safe shampoo to protect your highlights and a purple shampoo on occasion to neutralize any brassy tones.
***Hot water can turn highlights yellow/orange so use COLD water to both shampoo & condition your hair!!***
Brunettes: It’s very important to use a color safe/sulfate free shampoo Â along with a moisturizing conditioner.
4. What is the best thing for blondes/brunettes to do after their appointment?|
1) Avoid excessive use of hot tools and always use a heat/thermal protecting product when you do.
2) Do not over shampoo!! Use a dry shampoo every other day to help extend color.
3) Use a deep conditioning mask once to twice a week to help repair hair and keep it smooth and sleek.
4) Wear a hat in the sun.
5) Wet hair with fresh water or wear a swim cap prior to going in a pool. Make sure to rinse with fresh water after and shampoo if necessary…chlorine can cause highlights to turn green!